Walks in New York and elsewhere

My comments on buildings, shops, restaurants that catch my eye as I wander around New York City and other places.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Monday, August 29, 2005

Starting at 12th Avenue...




It seems fitting that the Circle Line tour boat leaves from a pier at the foot of 42nd Street.

(A larger image will be generated if you click on the picture)
Free Image Hosting at <a href=Look uptown at 12th Avenue to see the Intrepid (a floating sea-air museum on a de-commissioned naval vessel) and maybe catch a glimpse of any ocean-going ships that may be in port.

On the uptown side of the street is the massive Chinese consulate and just behind, its residential tower.

Free Image Hosting at <a href=
The building went up in 2002, designed by Lin + Associates, on the site of an 8-story former factory. It is one of several very tall residential buildings that have recently been constructed, or are under construction on the far west side. The area used to be low-rise, mixed use.

Across the street from the Chinese consulate is One River Place, on the s.w. corner of 42nd and 12th, perhaps even larger. It was developed by Larry Silverstein, designed by Costas Kondylis & Partners.

Free Image Hosting at <a href=
It will be joined by a second, similar tower following the completion of the clean-up of the brownfield directly to the east.

There are several other construction sites in the immediate vicinity, west of 9th Avenue.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Ji-Young Park said...

I've been to New York many times. But your photos are making me look at the city in a different way. I'm not quite sure why that is. I've had on and off academic interest in Architecture throughout the years. And I am usually keenly aware of the landscape and the immediate space I'm in.

I've been trying to do a photo documentary of LA's architectural oddities. I don't if there is enough film in the world to cover it.

Thank you for sharind this blog.

Best,
Ji-Young

2:17 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Sandra, your blog is super-interesting, and I'm really enjoying it. You've got a wonderful eye for detail.


I'm tempted to steal your idea for my own blog, but picking a route might be a little more tricky in Rome. Maybe I'll sit down with a map and try to figure out a route...

3:17 PM  
Blogger Sandra Levine said...

Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying the walks.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home