From 8th Avenue to Times Square, con't.
A sober, white, terra-cotta office building, albeit with a McDonald's on the ground floor, appears mid-block. It is the Candler Building, dating from 1914, designed by Willauer, Shape & Bready for a prosperous Coca-Cola salesman. It was renovated in 1999 by Swanke Hayden Connell.
Farther east, there are three more theatres rescued from ignominy. On the south side of the street,
are the Hilton (formerly Ford) Center for the performing arts and the New Victory.
The Hilton (home for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for the moment) was originally the site of the Apollo (19200 and Lyric Theaters (1903). The two theaters were artfully combined in 1998 by Beyer, Blinder Belle to create the current incarnation. Next door, the New Victory was restored to its 1899 glory by Hardy Holtzman Pfeiffer. These two firms are arguably New York City's finest restoration architects. The original New Victory was designed by Albert Westover for Oscar Hammerstein. It had many names and uses over the years, Minsky's being, probably, the most recognizable.
Across the street is the New Amsterdam Theatre, where The Lion King has reigned for many years. The bulk of the theatre is on 41st Street. Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer restored the 1902 creation of Herts and Tallant in 1995-97, The latter firm was largely responsible for many of the theatres in the district. This one, and many others, is a designated exterior and interior NYC landmark.
This theatre was the venue for the Ziegfeld Follies from 1913 - 1927.