Walks in New York and elsewhere

My comments on buildings, shops, restaurants that catch my eye as I wander around New York City and other places.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Walk in Tyringham, MA.

Tyringham is my favorite town in Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Almost completely devoid of tourist attractions, it offers a taste of what the Berkshires used to be even before the area became a resort for the rich a hundred years ago and the summer home of the Boston Symphony some years after that. I've taken many photographs of the town over the years, but last summer was the first time I visited with a digital camera. Until I am able to scan slides, I can't post pictures of the Cobble, the ruins of Ashintully (one of the great "cottages," destroyed by fire), or what is left of an interesting Shaker settlement. Maybe next year.

We stay in the Cobble View Inn, an unpretentious bed and breakfast in the heart of town, near the corner of Main Road and Jerusalem Road. The front part of the inn is the original house, over 200 years old. Over the years, there have been many alterations and additions, none of which are entirely sympathetic and some of which are downright awful (through the narrow lens of historic preservation) but the place is comfortable.

The name of the bed and breakfast refers to Tyringham Cobble. http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/370_tyringham_cobble.cfm


Across Main Road is the post office.











On Jerusalem Road is my favorite little gingerbread house.









Farther up the street is a garage that looks as if it shoud
be in a painting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home