Walks in New York and elsewhere

My comments on buildings, shops, restaurants that catch my eye as I wander around New York City and other places.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Thursday, January 11, 2007

A little detour

Visitors to New York City can be excused for thinking that either the Municipal Building or the Tweed Courthouse is City Hall. In fact, City Hall is a much older and more modest building. I think it's one of the most most beautiful municipal buildings ever, and I usually laugh at New York City boosterism.

To see City Hall, which is directly to the south of the Tweed Courthouse, turn left at Broadway. You'll be able to peek into the windows of the Tweed Courthouse.














At the moment there are some Alexander Calder sculptures in City Hall Park.

Here's City Hall

The Mayor's actual office is in the building. City Hall was designed by Joseph-Francois Mangin and John McComb Jr., 1802-11. Although it has undergone various alterations over the years, it maintains the character of an eary Federal building. Its deteriorated original skin, Massachusetts marble in front and brownstone in the rear was replaced in the mid-1950s with limestone over a granite base. The building was designated in 1966 and its interior, ten years later. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Before the mayoralty of Rudolph Giuliani, it was much easier to see the interior. After the events of 9/11, security became even tighter, but the interior is still worth making an effort to see, especially the double flying staircase and the ten Corinthian columns that support the dome. There is a significant portrait gallery inside as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Hi Sandra! I just wandered over here from Perfume of Life, inspired by your wonderful comments about your red lips. What a fantastic blog. I don't live in NYC, but I fell in love with the city a few years ago and try to go there as often as I can. Your blog will be a good way to get a fix when I can't actually go for a walk in some of my favorite streets. Thanks for the lovely tours!
--Alyssa (Sweetlife)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Sandra Levine said...

Thank you! I haven't blogged in a couple of years, but it's nice to know that people are still looking. I may revive it with an architectural photography project that I'm working on right now. I'll let everyone know if I do.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home